Our July 4th cul-de-sac party arrived and it was time to make another batch of homemade, allergy~friendly ice cream!!
This year I decided to make a DOUBLE BATCH of dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM !
You provide the ice cream maker... I'll provide the recipe! DOUBLE the ingredients below if you also want to double your recipe.
|Dairy-free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Homemade Ice Cream Recipe|
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
dairy-free, egg-free, peanut-free, nut-free (contains coconut)
2 Cups Coconut Dairy-free Milk
1 3/4 C Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
2 C Vanilla Soy Creamer (rather than half and half)
1 T Vanilla Extract
4 C Barista Style French Vanilla Coconut Creamer (rather than whipped cream)
1/4 tsp Peppermint Extract
1 bag of Enjoy Life Mint Chocolate Chips
1. Scald the coconut milk until bubbles form around the edge of the pan. Don't make the temperature too hot or you will get a FULL on boil and a film across the top of the liquid. Remove from the heat.
2. Add sugar and salt. Stir until dissolved.
3. Stir in creamers and vanilla extract. Add 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract. The potency of even this small amount will mellow after freezing and mixing in your ice cream maker.
4. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes because non-dairy milks don't thicken as fast as regular dairy milk.
5. Pour mixture into ice cream canister and follow ice cream maker directions. Ours says to layer ice cubes, then rock salt all the way to the top of the maker. The rock salt lowers the temperature of the ice cubes, making the ice cream freeze faster. Non-dairy alternatives tend to take a bit longer to freeze, so it's best to use rock salt or even kosher salt.
6. Add chips into the semi-hardened ice cream. I waited until the ice cream had thickened to a mashed potatoey texture, as the ice cream maker suggested, and then added in the chips. Mix another 5 to 10 minutes to mix in the chips.
Eat what you want and then place the container in to your freezer and ENJOY for days.. or maybe A day if you have ice cream eaters like I do~
I always LOVE the challenge of changing a recipe so that my food allergy kids can enjoy it. What I savor more is when OUR FRIENDS enjoy it too!!