2 C whole flour
1. Mix all dry ingredients, except cocoa.
2. Combine wet ingredients and mix together well.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients (not cocoa); mix together for 2 minutes.
4. Divide mixture, putting 2/3 in a separate bowl. Add 1 to 2 T extra of flour to this mix. It balances out the extra you will be adding to the smaller portion and will bake more evenly.
5. Add 1 to 2 T cocoa to smaller mixture portion; adapt to your chocolately taste preference.
6. Fill cupcake pans halfway with vanilla.
7. Add 1 to 1 1/2 T of chocolate mixture to each cupcake.
8. With a toothpick, lightly swirl vanilla and chocolate together.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 -20 minutes (maybe a little longer at higher altitudes) or until toothpick comes out of center of cooked cupcakes clean.
Want ALL vanilla cupcakes? Skip step 4 and ADD 3/8 C of flour to original mix. Want ALL chocolate cupcakes? Add 3/8 C cocoa to original mix. So many choices!
This is a family standby we have used for years. I have altered it a bit from the recipe my parents passed down. We love it for all occasions! I keep cupcakes on hand at school for special occasions and have some at home in our freezer for the same reason!