|Jolly Time Review from S.A.F.E.|
And who doesn't LOVE popcorn?
Here is another popcorn our dairy/egg/nut-free household enjoys. However, one may have noticed that I didn't categorize this product as being DAIRY-FREE although my family has enjoyed it for years.
In my research, I learned something I hadn't known before. There is a kosher OU-D symbol on the packaging, indicating the possibility of hidden dairy ingredient. Up until now I never realized this fact on this particular packaging. The 'artificial flavoring' ingredient could also be a concern for some.
I made a follow up call to the company regarding their cleaning processes. After getting a little more information, I feel confident to continue using their product. You can find the information below.
This successful company is nearing its 100 year anniversary in the next few years. Just an added incentive for those who like to support 'family owned' businesses.
Jolly Time Healthy Pop Kettle Korn, 94% Fat Free, distributed by American Pop Corn Company, Sioux City, Iowa.
Ingredients include: 100% WHOLE GRAIN POP CORN, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL (ADDS A DIETARILY INSIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF TRANS FAT PER SERVING), SALT, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SUCRALOSE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SOY LECITHIN, ANNATO FOR COLORING.
It also states on the packaging: CONTAINS: Soy Ingredients; NO DIACETYL FLAVOR; Og TRANS FAT.
I was impressed by the amount of time and knowledge the gentleman I spoke with in consumer marketing had about the product ingredients. He explained in detail the following: how these artificial ingredients come from plant resources; and, how a percentage of the chemical found in the plant is used for enhancing flavoring. He also did some follow-up research and sent the following information to me:
Below are some of the steps we take on our Cleaning Processes:
1) We pre-plan with our flavor suppliers which allergens we’ll allow in our formulas.
2) We utilize some production planning sequences to try to minimize sequencing from product with most allergens to those with fewer. We try to plan just the opposite of that.
3) We have rigorous cleaning steps between equipment uses for allergens --- it is a rinse, wash, rinse. We likewise remove some of the equipment parts and take them apart into pieces that can be washed separately with high impact water and detergents. They are rinsed afterward and dried.
4) For this system to work, we have a chart that shows what cleaning steps are required between each product – it is published in production and maintenance.
5) We train our employees as well, educating them about why these procedures are required and the consequences of a mistake.
I hope that helps,
Director of Consumer Marketing
American Pop Corn Company
Ph: 712.239.1232 <712.239.1232>
Fx: 712.239.1268 <712.239.1268>
For more information, contact: http://www.jollytime.com or call 1-712-239-1232.
I, personally, feel more confident with continuing to use this product. However, that would be a decision everyone makes for their own family.
My kids are NOT anaphylactic to milk but they will react within a minute of eating something with milk in it with an itchy mouth. With this in mind, we have had NO problems with this particular product in the years we have been enjoying it.
I hope this adds another option to your Allergy~Friendly cabinet!!