PEEPS must be one popular item at Easter, because I don't remember when I've ever gotten SOO many hits on my site for people looking for PEEPS ingredient lists. I'm sure I wasn't the only one disappointed that NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEIR BUNNIES IS DAIRY-FREE!!
2 C whole flour
1. Mix all dry ingredients, except cocoa.
2. Combine wet ingredients and mix together well.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients (not cocoa); mix together for 2 minutes.
4. 3 options here:
*ALL vanilla: add an extra 3/8 C of flour to mixture and mix (replaces unused cocoa), mix
*ALL chocolate: add 3/8 C of cocoa, mix
*Swirled: Divide mixture, putting 2/3 in a separate bowl - 1/3 will be used for chocolate AND follow #5 directions
5. Swirled option: Add 1 to 2 T cocoa to smaller portion depending on chocolate preference. Add 1 to 2 T of flour to larger portion so it binds a bit better. Cupcakes will be a bit softer if you don't.
*Fill cupcake pans halfway with vanilla.
*Add 1 to 1 1/2 T of chocolate mixture to each cupcake.
*With a toothpick, lightly swirl vanilla and chocolate together.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 -20 minutes or until toothpick comes out of center of cooked cupcakes clean.
The Easter Cupcakes were a wonderful addition to our weekend celebration!