As I tend to bake everything from scratch, I was thrilled a few years ago to find this simple recipe which I have adapted to our milk-free, egg-free, nut-free needs. The best part is that it tastes great!
|Dairy-free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free Gingerbread - from S.A.F.E.|
1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 C milk-free margarine (ie, Nucoa or Earth Balance), room temperature
1 egg substitute - *2 alternatives (for this recipe, I prefer the flax substitute)
- 1/4 of flax (1 T flax + 3 T water; bring to a boil and let simmer 5 min., let cool and use);
- OR 1 1/2 T oil + 1 1/2 T water + 1 t baking powder (mixed well)
1 C hot water
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Use shortening/milk-free margarine and flour to prep a rectangular cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and flour. Stir together.
3. Form a well in the center of the mixture and add milk-free margarine, egg substitute, molasses and hot water. Stir until well blended and smooth.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Dust with powdered sugar after bread has partially cooled and Enjoy!
Happy Holidays and Happy Baking!